In November 1953, plans began for an auxiliary to serve Community Memorial Hospital, which was under construction. Representatives of the South Hill Garden Club's Hospital Committee and other civic groups initiated the planning for an Auxiliary. Because the hospital was to serve the people of Brunswick, Lunenburg and Mecklenburg counties, invitations to join were extended to women of this tri-county area.
The Auxiliary started with 99 charter members who served as tour guides for the hospital's dedication day on May 30, 1954. Nineteen years later, members again served as tour guides at the dedication for the new addition, which included the Cardiac Intensive Care Center.
Volunteer activities include patient-related services and various clerical duties. Members established the Tree of Love to provide scholarships for allied health students to continue their education. In 1988, with renovations nearing completion, the hospital's Board of Trustees voted to change the name to Community Memorial Healthcenter, and the Auxiliary Board christened its new Gift Shop, "The Fish Bowl."
CMH Auxiliary contributions are used for the continuous development of the hospital and to date those donations have exceeded one million dollars. Contributions have been used to purchase equipment for such areas as the operating and Emergency Rooms and for the departments of physical therapy, laboratory, X-ray and CICU. CMH Auxiliary also contributes to future expansion plans of the hospital as well as special projects for the healthcenter throughout the year. In addition to the many monetary donations given to the Healthcenter, CMH Volunteers donate many hours.
The CMH Auxiliary has been a member in good standing of the Virginia Association of Healthcare Auxiliaries (VAHAV) since 1954. The VAHAV is an autonomous organization founded in 1949 to help its member auxiliaries better serve and support their institutions. The VAHAV offers leadership skills, in-service and fund raising ideas, current health care information, legislative involvement, problem solving, liaison with other State Auxiliary Leaders and a variety of educational opportunities.
The purpose of this organization shall be to advance the welfare of The VCU Community Memorial Hospital through ways approved by the governing body of the hospital. This purpose shall be accomplished by interpretation of the hospital to the public, through service to the hospital and its patients, and through fund raising in a manner satisfactory to the hospital governing board and in harmony with the planning of the community.
Areas of Service
Occupational Health and Wellness Services
Rehab (Rehab Center)
Women’s Health Services
Membership in The Community
CMH Auxiliary shall be open to all adults who are interested in VCU Community Memorial Hospital, and who meet the approval of the Executive Board.
Anyone interested in becoming a member of the CMH Auxiliary should contact:
CMH Auxiliary Membership Chairman
VCU Community Memorial Hospital
P. O. Box 90
South Hill, Virginia 23970
For an application or more information you can call the Auxiliary Office at (434) 447-3151, Ext. 3441 or email at: firstname.lastname@example.org