Support When It’s Needed Most
Hospice provides compassionate, professional, comfort care for persons with an advanced (progressive) life-limiting illness.
- Specializes in providing pain and symptom control.
- Provides physical, emotional, spiritual and practical support for the patient and those who love them.
- Respects the wishes of the patient and the family in making decisions about patient care.
- Recognizes that quality of life is important. Care is provided in the home (or home-like setting), with loved ones, pets, familiar surroundings.
- Suggests ways to provide the comfort care, and provides answers for the many questions that arise.
- Medical care under the direction of the patient's physician.
- A specially-trained team of professionals work together, with the patient and family, on a plan of care tailored to the patient’s needs: nurses, social worker, chaplain, volunteer coordinator, volunteers, certified nursing assistant, physical/speech/occupational therapist.
- A hospice nurse is available by telephone 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The team keeps in touch by phone and regular visits.
- Certain medical equipment is provided, as needed.
- The patient's life expectancy is measured in months rather than years.
- A physician certifies that the patient is qualified for hospice.
- The patient and family agree that the goal of care is comfort rather than cure.
- Resides in Brunswick, Lunenburg, Mecklenburg or southern Nottoway Counties.
- Hospice services are provided without regard to race, religion, age, ethnic origin, or sexual orientation.
- Hospice provides comfort and support not only for patients with cancer but also for patients with other life-limiting illnesses.
Hospice Financial Arrangements
- Skilled services are reimbursed by Medicare, Medicaid and/or other third party payers.
- Community Hospice is committed to providing hospice services regardless of financial circumstances.
Download our brochure here.
If you would like more information about: CMH Community Hospice, a hospice speaker, becoming a hospice volunteer, or making a contribution to hospice, please contact:
Medicare and Medicaid Certified-JCAHO Accredited
300 East Ferrell Street P0 Box 90
South Hill, Virginia 23970
ext. 3450 & 3454
Fax (434) 447-2565